New from Bubbaroo in Australia, is the Joey Pouch range of swaddling bags. At last there is a product that allows you to swaddle your baby whilst avoiding all of the dangers of the traditional approach to swaddling. Bubbaroo have ditched the 'straitjacket' approach, in favour of full, unrestricted movement and fabric breathability.
With the Bubbaroo Joey Pouch, you don't have miles of fabric to keep on wrapping around your baby - just one wrap, pop and zip, and you're done. Your baby will be warm, comfortable and secure, and will remain so through night-time feeding and changing.
Very importantly, the Bubbaroo approach to swaddling leaves babies' legs free to kick and 'frog' - vital to normal hip and pelvis movement and development. In October 2013, the BBC ran an article on the dangers of over-tight, full body swaddling, where the baby's legs are effectively forced straight and all normal movement prevented.
Professor Nicholas Clarke, of Southampton University Hospital, expressed the view that this type of swaddling was damaging developing hips and leading to hip dysplasia. Prof. Clarke went on to say "In order to allow for healthy hip development, legs should be able to bend up and out at the hips. This position allows for natural development of the hip joints. The babies' legs should not be tightly wrapped in extension and pressed together."
Another danger of the traditional swaddling method, where the body, arms and legs are all fully wrapped, is that baby may overheat.
These critical points are both fully addressed by Bubbaroo - the innovative design of the swaddle creates a comforting environment for the baby without any restriction of movement, and Bubbaroo's Joey Pouch is made from fully breathable, TOG rated, 100% cotton waffle.
Sizing Information for Joey Pouch:
The Joey Pouch is designed for newborn babies
To fit length: up to 70cm / 27.5"
To fit weight: minimum 3.2kg / 7lbs, maximum 8kg / 17.6lbs
IMPORTANT: The Joey Pouch should not be used once baby is able to roll from their back to their front - switch to the Joey Swag Sleep Bag.
Key Points & Features of the Bubbaroo Joey Pouch:
• It allows baby to sleep in their natural position with the arms up, helping them to self-soothe and settle back to sleep.
• Encourages baby to sleep on their back, which is advised to reduce the risk of SIDS
• Beautiful, soft 100% cotton waffle and TOG rated to prevent overheating
• Easy night-time feeding without needing to unwrap baby
• Easy transition to a Joey Sway Bag baby sleeping bag
• Safer handling of wrapped baby
• Prevents the startle reflex and face scratching
• The Joey Pouch can be used in a car or pram
• Machine washable - please ensure the pouch is fully zipped before washing
Not sure how to swaddle? Watch Bubbaroo's helpful tutorial: